Saturday, December 20, 2008


I went to town on a Friday night. 'Nough said? LOL We were not gone that long, but looong enough. Something people not from "here" (midwest, hickville, farm country...) might think is funny, is that we say go to town even when we LIVE inside the city limits. Go to town, means to actually venture into a store. Just a lil FYI for ya. :o) Anyways, Mark can finish us up on the 2 gifts we have left. He laughed at me when in the Sears tool dept. I was on the phone to daddy saying "just tell me please!". So I am going from the saw blade section to the sander belt section reading off numbers over and over to make sure it was the correct ones. Daddy cannot ever hear me on the phone and I wasn't sure the connection was super clear in the store on my cell. He finally said, you don't have to keep repeating yourself. That just cracked me up. I just wanted to be sure he didn't have to return anything. The poor man has been buried the past several years in warm clothes and mom told us to stop it already (in her nice way of course!). But us 3 girls just want out farmer daddy to stay warm. He is a little man and is out in all the weather. So with warmth not an option, I was flummoxed on what to do. So from the farm to the wood shop my thoughts went. Course he has about all the tools. And what he doesn't, well none of us can afford. So I was thinking on supplies. Consumables as Debbie says, is just the best way to go for so many gifts. And she is right. So here is my last minute Christmas shopping tip for you. Buy what they can/will use. Be it hobby supplies, some groceries (with a few special treats added in), personal care items, gas cards..... The thought and love is still there and you know the gift will be used and appreciated. Everyone wins.


4 comments:

3anklebiters said...

i like your idea of "useful" gifts. we try to do that also. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Lindah said...

Useful gifts are great. I grew up with that practice. Somewhere along the way of becoming a more sophisticated grown up, I learned to buy things that the giftee would not buy for themselves. Uh-huh. That's where gift giving lost a sense of reality. Then my children got old enough to do that. Well...I'm tired of the clutter and trying to figure out what to do with it. So, yes...a return to useful gifts sounds good to me! Simpler all the way round. It's the thought that counts! Truly!

Laura-IH said...

I think your idea of usefull gifts is great! My dad is hard to buy for, too!

busylizzy said...

This sure is a handy idea for those people that have so much and don't need anything from the "little people". :o)